What kind of music do the most intelligent people listen to?

One common trait among people with an above-average IQ is their curiosity.

I think this might also be reflected in their musical preferences (or lack thereof). I have successfully passed the Mensa test and, for what it's worth, I enjoy listening to just about any type of music.

And I don't mean listening to what's on the radio. I mean genuinely appreciating the icy sound of some obscure Norwegian black metal band; the happy-stupid riffs of The Offspring; the majestic requiem of Mozart; the surprisingly sad variations in Adele's voice; the fast-paced blade-runner-like computer-generated sounds of Front Line Assembly; the classical-like moments and uplifting beats of Above & Beyond; or the grim reality of La Coka Nostra.

Curiosity. Wanting to learn, see, hear, taste, and feel anything for the short time we're here. I think that's a driving force that can influence the musical tastes of an intelligent person, as opposed to, say, someone who just accepts what the big-shots in the music industry decide you want to hear on the radio today.

EDIT: This answer is getting quite a bit of views and likes. Thank you. I thought I might add a some more details here.

Traditional Music
I also really enjoy music that tells a tale, a story, or even makes a political statement with which I may or may not agree. I’m thinking of traditional/folklore-inspired groups, such as Les Cowboys Fringants from Quebec, Mattanza or Sabatum Quartet from Calabria, patriotic chants from the American Civil War, and even old IRA and Mafia/N’dranghetta songs. Not that I condone everything they say, but they’re telling something that matters to them and many other people, plus the music is usually very catchy. I love more traditional music. I feel it carries the history, sounds, and struggles of a people. Also, I suppose something good
has to come out when you mix fiddle, flutes, guitar, bagpipes, mandolin and the likes.

Trance
Somehow, I ended up working for a few years in place where I would hear trance and house music on a daily basis, and it kinda grew on me. Once you can tell the differences between every style, it becomes more interesting. Personally, I enjoy listening to trance music every now and then. I find it both uplifting and relaxing, as it runs from a fast-paced beat to a slow, almost classical pause, and then builds up again on a grandiose crescendo.

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
I’m picking this particular album from that particular band on purpose. I really, really like it. I discovered it while I was much younger and it felt like a Eureka moment, because at that time, I was desperately trying to find more “extreme” music to listen too, and found nothing particularly interesting in Cannibal Corpse or Gwar. Then I stumbled upon this album and discovered a genre that was completely new to me. Very technical and complex transitions, classical and medieval touches, lyrics written in an older English style — that was more than I could ask for back then.

Jazz and Dream Theater
Surprisingly, I’m not really into most jazz, Dream Theater, or other musicians that, I feel, start jamming and then it never ends. I acknowledge they are very talented and play amazingly complex music, yet it just isn’t my cup of tea. Maybe it’s the lack of patterns and structure, but I feel the artistic and “sentimental” side of the music is lost when struggling to make everything more complex and more experimental than the next band.

Industrial music
From the heavy beats of Fear Factory, Rammstein or Ruoska, to the 80’s experimental tracks of Skinny Puppy, or the anxiously sad and depressing releases of Wumpscut, there is something I enjoy in industrial music. It is an interesting blend of man and machinery, computer-generated patterns with sounds from early electronic instruments, distorted machine-like voices, and an overall cyberpunk feeling.

Klaus Schulze
He is a pioneer of electronic music. His compositions are complex, relaxing, often dark or mysterious. There is something introspective about what he does, I find. It is also dream- or nightmare-like sometimes. His albums could be the soundtrack of
Peter Gric

’s paintings.

So there. Just some more examples.

My point, I guess, is I don’t feel like I can stick to one genre or one style. My curiosity continuously leads me to discover new bands and new artists. I wouldn’t know how much this is particular to “intelligent people” (if at all) — this is just me :


Comments

Popular Posts